Web developers are in high demand, and opting for a career in this line of work can bring many job opportunities as well as a competitive salary. Whether you are starting to pursue a career in web development or just looking to expand your knowledge, there are plenty of certification options at your disposal at each level.
Table of Contents
- Beginner-level web development certifications
- Intermediate-level web development certifications
- Advanced-level web development certifications
For today’s article, our web development agency Chicago researched various web development certifications to help you find those that align with your education needs and can set you apart as a credible developer.
What are web development certifications, and why are they important?
Developers earn web development certifications upon attending certified courses that teach foundational or more in-depth coding and web development methods. Courses usually cover a variety of topics, some of which include:
- HTML coding
- CSS coding
- Front-end development
- Back-end development
- Web design
Earning web development certifications can bring multiple benefits to your future business efforts. Let’s explore some of them:
- Through web development certifications, you’ll gain in-depth knowledge without having to go back for another degree. They also limit costs, and some of them even allow you to earn them while going at your own pace.
- Web development certifications help you enhance your skills while ensuring you are up to date with the current development practices.
- Including web development certifications in your resume will help you showcase your qualifications to potential employers as well as demonstrate that you thrive on self-improvement.
- Besides gaining advanced knowledge in specialty areas, completing web development certifications also helps you gain leadership skills. This sets your career for growth as you qualify for management or advanced development roles.
How to choose a web development certification program
Due to the sheer number of excellent web development certifications out there, some of which we will cover shortly, it is extremely important to make sure that the one you choose is indeed the one that best suits your goals. If you wish to nail your choice, we suggest you consider a few factors first:
- Your current experience level: This should largely influence your choice. If you have no previous experience and are just starting to scratch the surface of web development, your best chance is to look for beginner certification programs. These will help you set a strong foundation and earn knowledge that you can build upon as you continue to advance your career. On the other hand, professionals in mid-level or senior positions should opt for intermediate or advanced web development certifications to expand their knowledge.
- Your development strengths and weaknesses: Knowing what you do well and where you perhaps lack some knowledge can help guide your decision-making process. Make sure to first focus your attention and energy on overcoming your weaknesses before deciding to boost your strengths.
- Look at your schedule: Not all certification programs allow you to go at your own pace, so this is definitely something you need to consider carefully. Think about the amount of time you can devote to completing a program during a week. If you have a busy schedule, pick a part-time course that you can attend on weekends.
- Online or in-person programs: Many certification providers offer both online and in-person programs. The type you choose depends mainly on your preference. We said mainly because if you prefer face-to-face interaction, you should do research and see if there are any courses of this type available around your area. On the other hand, if you are looking for a more independent learning experience, an online course may do the trick.
- Research industry changes: If you are looking to advance your career in web development, research changes to industry practices. Perhaps there are some updates to programming languages that you were unaware of. This way, you’ll know if there is anything new you should learn.
The best web development certification programs
Now that you’ve done some self-evaluation regarding your web development skills and gone through your schedule let’s explore which courses are worth your while. We’ll start with beginner-level web development certifications and make our way to intermediate and advanced ones. The stage is set; let’s roll.
Beginner-level web development certifications
If you are at the very beginning of your journey to becoming a web developer, we recommend you consider the following courses to get yourself on the right track from the get-go:
Web Design and Development (eCornell)
This certification program offered by eCornell is designed for persons with little-to-no experience in web development. The program is six courses long, and each course includes two weeks of instructions, so it will take you three months to complete it with 7 to 10 hours per week. During this time, you’ll learn the fundamentals of front-end development and web design. This includes:
- Framing front-end development
- Structuring content with HTML
- Styling web content with CSS
- Composition and ways to make your website mobile responsive
- Improving UX with interactivity
- Collecting user data with forms
Professional Certificate in Coding: Full Stack Development With MERN (MIT)
This program is tailored to teach entry-level web developers everything they need to know about full-stack development. It consists of three modules providing you with the knowledge on foundational components of web development before moving on to front-end and back-end development. The modules are as follows:
- Web development
- Back-end development with a focus on MERN stack
The MIT program should take no more than 15 to 20 hours of your time per week, and you’ll be able to complete it in 32 weeks.
Professional Certificate in Front-End Developer (edX)
This certificate provides fundamental instruction to future front-end web developers. It contains five courses during which you’ll learn about:
- The basics of CSS
- HTML5 and CSS fundamentals
- Using HTML5 for apps and games
By the end of the program, you should be able to code websites and interactive apps as well as other components important for the end-user. The program itself is self-paced, so it is entirely up to you how fast you will complete it. However, if you dedicate as few as 5 to 7 hours each week, you’ll finish it in less than seven months.
CareerFoundry Full-Stack Web Development Certification Program
This certification program is a perfect fit for individuals looking to start a career in web development but who have no previous experience in this field. It takes a very hands-on approach to learning since you are assigned a personal expert mentor as well as a tutor right from the start. If you prefer studying at your own pace, this flexible yet structured program is definitely something to look into.
The content of the course can be accessed through their online learning platform, and you’ll be able to complete the program in three and a half months dedicating 30 hours each week or in seven months at a 15 hours per week pace. Though you choose your own pace, there are still some deadlines to stick to in order to stay on track.
Another amazing feature of this program is that graduates are offered a job guarantee, making it a pretty secure investment. You’ll also spend time talking to a career advisor who will help you apply for jobs as well as get ready for interviews. A complete package indeed.
HTML & CSS Certification Course for Beginners (Udemy)
Udemy provides a self-paced web development certification course composed of four hours of lectures that you can access in your own free time. Their tutors will start by teaching you the fundamentals of HTML and CSS coding and gradually go more in-depth on developing various components and customizing sites with the help of these two languages.
Ironhack Web Development Bootcamp
This online web development certification program is ideal for individuals that prefer a structured approach to learning new skills. You will be studying at certain times Monday through Friday with an option to participate full-time and complete it in 9 weeks, or you can complete it in 24 weeks if you opt for part-time learning.
The program is broken down into four modules:
- Responsive design
- Back-end programming
- Front-end technologies
The sessions start at 9 am and last until 6 am. During this time, you will have four sessions led by an instructor (45 minutes each) and three independent study sessions.
Intermediate-level web development certifications
Moving on, let’s check some of the certifications intended for individuals that already possess knowledge of the fundamentals of web development. These are, in our opinion, some of the best intermediate-level web development certifications.
The Springboard Software Engineering Certification (Springboard)
- Front-end development
- Back-end development with Python
- Flask and SQL
- Node and Express
- ReactJS and Redux
Springboard Software Engineering Career Track
The Springboard program takes approximately 9 months to complete and requires 20 hours of study each week. Upon enrollment, you will be dedicated to a mentor who will work with you via weekly video calls. You’ll have over 800 hours of content at your disposal, along with an active online student community, unlimited consultations with a career coach, resume and portfolio reviews, as well as mock interviews. Once you graduate from the program, you will receive a certificate of completion.
GIAC Certified Web Application Defender (GWEB) (GIAC Certifications)
GIAC offers a self-paced web developer certification program that allows individuals with app development backgrounds to exhibit their know-how in cybersecurity. The training course called Defending Web Application Security Essentials is provided through a partnership with the SANS institute and includes some of the major topics about access control, proactive defense measures, security testing, and web architecture. The lectures are held online. However, to pass the exam and receive certification, you will have to undergo an in-person examination.
Technology Leadership Certificate (eCornell)
As the program’s name says, this certificate helps mid, or senior-level IT professionals acquire leadership skills. This is essential for persons who wish to qualify for promotional opportunities and team leader positions. The course takes place online and lasts for three months with 3 to 5 hours per week. It includes:
- Strengths-based technology leadership
- Decision-making skills for technology leaders
- Collaborative communication for technology leaders
- Courageous communication for technology leaders
- Influence and motivation for technology leaders
BrainStation Online Web Development Diploma
This is yet another great option for those looking to launch a new career in web development and possess some basic knowledge of HTML and CSS. Unlike other certification programs on our list, all applicants are required to attend the Prep Course here before acceptance.
BrainStation Online Web Development Diploma program also puts a strong focus on building your portfolio and preparing you for this line of work with extensive career coaching and interview preparation included in the curriculum.
Advanced-level web development certifications
Next, we’ll explore some of the best certification programs for seasoned web developers and IT professionals. Let’s dive in.
Adobe Certified Expert (ACE) (Adobe Digital Learning Services)
- Adobe Certified Expert Magento Commerce Front-End Developer
- Adobe Certified Expert Magento Commerce Cloud Developer
The ACE certification course is held online and can be completed within 2 to 3 days.
Oracle Certified Expert: Java Platform, Enterprise Edition 6 Front-End Developer (Oracle University)
The Oracle University’s program offers web development professionals a chance to learn how to use Java’s enterprise edition 6 software to code front-end development components. This self-paced online program contains one course followed by an examination.
Oracle Certified Expert: Java Platform, Enterprise Edition 6 Back-End Developer (Oracle University)
Just like the previous program on our list, this one is also part of Java enterprise edition courses provided by Oracle University. During three self-paced online courses, you will master back-end development components coding in accordance with Java’s enterprise edition 6 software.
We have come to the end of today’s article in which we presented what we feel are the most incredible web development certification programs available on the market. Whether you are the industry’s rookie or a seasoned veteran, including one or more of the aforementioned certifications in your portfolio will give you the best chance to secure a dream job or finally land that project you desire.
If you still have some uncertainties on whether to pursue a web developer certification or even commit yourself to this line of work overall, we suggest you explore the field further before making a decision. Read through reviews, carefully study program curriculums, or check our article on must-have digital marketing certifications. Either way, we got you covered.