In the digital age, construction businesses no longer rely on traditional advertising and word-of-mouth marketing. You must establish a strong online presence and target your potential customers through digital channels. And investing in SEO for construction companies is one of the most effective ways to achieve this.
In this article, our digital marketing experts will provide you with the necessary knowledge for crafting a solid search engine optimization strategy for your construction company. You’ll learn how to create a construction keywords list, tackle the challenges of technical SEO, obtain high-quality backlinks, engage in local SEO, and much more. Tips you’re going to find by reading this article helped many construction company owners build a solid foundation for business growth and secure long-term success. Hopefully, you’ll be able to do the same. So let’s get to work!
Table of Contents:
- Why is SEO so important for a Construction Company?
- 6 Ways to Boost SEO for Construction Companies
- Use the Right Keywords to Drive More High-Quality Traffic
- Utilize Local SEO to Showcase Your Services to the Local Community
- Make sure search engines can crawl and index your website
- Optimize your Construction Website Speed To Boost User Experience
- Create amazing content for your construction website
- Work on Backlinks To Improve Your Domain Authority
- Contact the best SEO agency for construction companies
Why is SEO so important for a Construction Company?
Search engine optimization can help your construction company show up higher in search engine results when people are searching for related services. SEO statistics suggest that 68% of online experiences start with search engines. And the higher a construction website appears in SERPs, the more likely people will visit it. This will allow you to showcase your services and brand to your target audience.
Yes, there are many other forms of search engine marketing, one of the most popular being PPC advertising, where you can get your website on the first page of Google by bidding the highest price for specific keywords. But down the rocky road of optimizing your construction company’s website, you’ll also need to apply the best practices when crafting an amazing user experience and publishing high-quality content for your visitors. By investing your best efforts in SEO for construction companies, you’ll eventually manage to establish credibility and position your website as an enjoyable place for everyone who wants to get informed about your industry and niche. That’s why SEO for construction companies is the best long-term solution that will make you less dependent on the competition by allowing you to boost website traffic without paying for each visit.
Shortly speaking, SEO can bring the following benefits to your construction business:
- Increased organic traffic
- Better user experience
- It will support your content marketing efforts
- Cost-effective online visibility boost
- Increased credibility and trust with customers and third-party companies
As you can see, SEO for construction companies is one of the building blocks for a successful online presence. However, just like impressive buildings can’t be completed within days, visible SEO results can’t be achieved within this timespan either. So don’t get disappointed if you can’t immediately notice these benefits. Instead, remain consistent with your SEO plan, and you’ll eventually reach new heights in search engine rankings.
However, you need to make sure that your search engine optimization strategy is of high quality, so unless you have an in-house team of SEO experts, we recommend hiring professional construction company SEO services. This way, you’ll know that every action you take on your website will bring long-term benefits. And professionals can make the timespan between initial efforts and the desired organic traffic boost much shorter.
What is Construction SEO?
As we’ve mentioned in the previous section, search engine optimization (SEO) is the process of taking different actions to rank construction websites high in Google and other popular search engines. We’ve already explained how SEO for construction companies can benefit your business, and before exploring advanced strategies, please allow us to introduce you quickly to the SEO basics.
We can divide SEO for construction companies into three main areas:
- On-page SEO: All the changes you make on your website to improve its rankings. This can include using relevant keywords, optimizing meta tags, and ensuring that your construction website is easy to navigate.
- Off-page SEO: All the actions you take outside of your construction website to boost your online visibility.
- Technical SEO: This includes optimizing the behind-the-scenes elements of the website, such as its code, to make it easier for search engines to crawl and index it. Technical SEO also ensures your website is mobile-friendly and improves page speed and security. Understanding the secret behind fantastic construction website design before creating a website will make your technical SEO tasks much easier later on.
6 Ways to Boost SEO for Construction Companies
Polishing your on-page, off-page, and technical search skills might require time and effort. Unless you already have some experience in SEO for construction companies, we highly recommend consulting with a marketing agency before taking serious action.
In this section, we’ll explore seven essential SEO for construction companies strategies:
Use the Right Keywords to Drive More High-Quality Traffic
Including the right keywords across your website is a top priority when you want to rank high for search queries relevant to your construction business. It will help you attract the right kind of traffic and target your audience segments more effectively.
This process starts with comprehensive keyword research. During this stage, you need to find words and phrases people use to search for construction services. Brainstorming sessions can help you get started, but always check search volume, level of competition, and other important metrics for each keyword you come up with.
Utilize Local SEO to Showcase Your Services to the Local Community
Local SEO is all about ensuring your construction company appears in search results when people in your local area are looking for your services. This is a great way to get your construction business in front of people who are most likely to hire your services, as most potential customers searching for nearby construction companies already have a purchase intent.
Think about it this way: If someone is searching for “construction company near me” or “construction company [your location]” on Google, your website will appear higher in SERPs if you’ve followed the best local search marketing strategies.
Here’s what you can do to step up your local SEO game and start connecting with the local community:
Optimize your website for local construction keyword search:
Conduct keyword research to find keywords relevant to your construction business, location, and services. Then include those keywords in the title tags and meta descriptions. For the best effect, create content pieces such as blog posts and service pages that include local keywords. Also, make sure to include your location in the footer of your website and the contact page.
Optimize your Google My Business account:
Create a GMB account and fill it out with all the relevant information about your business. This includes your address, phone numbers, hours of operation, and more. Just make sure these pieces of information are accurate and up-to-date. Also, add photos and videos of your construction company business to your GMB account, as this will help potential customers better understand your services. Once you set up this account, keep posting relevant news, offers, and events to your profile.
Manage your Google Reviews:
People are more likely to click on your Google business listing if it has a lot of positive reviews. Luckily, managing Google reviews is pretty straightforward. All you need to do is respond to positive and negative reviews to show people that you care about the quality of your services. And remember to encourage satisfied customers to leave a review on Google and share their experiences with others.
Make sure search engines can crawl and index your website
No matter how unique your content or website visuals are, if Google and other search engines can’t crawl and index your construction website, potential customers won’t be able to find it. Here are a few things you can do to make sure search engines will be able to crawl and index your website:
- Ensure your code is clean: Having a clean, valid code that follows web standards will make it easier for search engines to understand and index your content.
- Submit an XML Sitemap: Create and submit an XML sitemap to Google Search Console. This will provide crawlers with significant help when it comes to understanding the structure of your construction website.
- Check for crawl errors: After submitting your sitemap, check the crawl error report in the Google Search Console. If there were any issues with crawling, Google would give you a deep insight into things that went wrong so you can fix them.
- Check the index report: While still in Google Search Console, check for any indexing issues. You’ll be able to see the list of your pages that the most popular search engine has already indexed.
- Create a robust internal link structure: Use internal links to connect pages on your construction website and help search engines better understand its structure.
- Create a responsive design: With the growing number of mobile users, Google began giving preference to mobile-friendly construction websites. Our web design agency in Chicago can help you create a website that provides an amazing user experience on mobile devices and is easy to index for Google and other search engines.
Optimize your Construction Website Speed To Boost User Experience
If your website takes too long to load, potential customers are more likely to leave before they even get a chance to explore your content. This will cause high bounce rates, signaling to search engines that your website provides a poor user experience. With the Core Web Vitals update, Google made it clear that page speed is a significant ranking factor. That’s why optimizing loading times is a crucial aspect of SEO for construction companies.
Here’s what you can do to increase page speed on a construction website:
- Optimize image file sizes on your website: There are not many better ways to demonstrate your expertise than including many high-quality images on your construction website. However, images consume a lot of resources and can significantly increase your loading times. Fortunately, you can keep all your images while improving page speed. Our marketing agency does this by compressing image file sizes. What’s best, your visitors won’t be able to spot any difference in quality.
- Minify your code: Removing unnecessary lines of code is a proven way to speed up your pages and render them more quickly for end-consumers.
- Avoid URL redirects: While there will be scenarios where you can’t avoid redirecting users from one URL to another, you should use this method only when necessary. This is because every time you use an URL redirect, it will take time for browsers to go from one file to another – causing slower loading times.
- Use a Content Delivery Network (CDN): CDN is a network of servers located all over the world that store your website’s data. When people visit your website, data will be served to their browsers from the closest server to their physical location.
Create amazing content for your construction website
High-quality content is the driving force behind SEO for construction companies. Regularly publishing content on your construction website will help you:
- Target more keywords
- Build a strong internal linking structure
- Educate your target audience about construction services
- Demonstrate expertise to build trust and credibility
- Earn more backlinks
- Get fresh material to post on social media platforms
You can put many types of content on your website as a construction business. Images, videos, infographics, and powerful copy, are just some of the examples. However, having a blog section is the most effective way to secure a constant stream of fresh content on your website. But before you start creating content, it is advised to have a strong strategy in place. Here are a few quick tips our marketing agency can give you:
Clearly define your goals:
Before you begin the content creation process, you should define your business goals. Do you want to focus on educating your target audience or instead focus on promoting your services? There’s more value to content than purely getting better rankings. Understanding how content marketing drives sales will help you develop a strong plan for growing your business.
Consider your target audience:
Who do you want to find value in your content?B2C construction companies and those targeting third-party companies must create different content to reach their goals effectively. By knowing your audience, you’ll be able to come up with exciting topics more easily and adapt your style and tone according to their preferences. And always keep their search intents in mind when crafting your content.
Focus on quality instead of quantity:
There’s not much point in publishing low-quality content daily. Google has advanced algorithms for determining content quality, so if your articles are not informative, unique, and engaging, they’ll end up buried far below the first page of search results.
Avoid keyword stuffing:
Once you identify the keyword you want to base your piece of content around, include it here and there, but make sure to maintain the natural language. Keyword stuffing no longer works, and search engines will only penalize you for applying this technique. Most SEO experts claim that including a keyword 1 to 2 times per 100 words is the best practice.
Perform content audits:
Keep an eye on the performance of your content pieces to find out what works best for your audience. Also, update your blog posts occasionally to include new relevant information or add new internal links if the opportunity arises.
Work on Backlinks To Improve Your Domain Authority
Backlinks is another term often used in SEO for construction companies. Before exploring different link-building strategies, let’s first explain what backlinks are and why they’re essential for search engine optimization.
Links on other websites that point to your construction website are called backlinks. Obtaining many quality backlinks will improve your authority and credibility in the eyes of search engines, as these links essentially function as a vote of confidence between websites. If many other websites are linking to your website, it must be pretty good, right?
But it’s important to understand which types of backlinks you should chase. Ideally, you want to obtain backlinks from authoritative websites within your niche. The more your fields of expertise overlap and the more credibility they have, the more significant the impact on your search engine rankings. For example, if a reputable home improvement blog links to your website, it might positively affect your rankings for search terms like “construction company” or “home renovation.” And some of their visitors may follow the link and then explore your services.
However, obtaining high-quality backlinks requires constant efforts from your side. Here are some of the best practices construction businesses can follow to get the link juice flowing:
Create content others will want to share:
Always strive to create engaging content full of helpful information and interesting facts. This way, other websites within your niche might want to share it with their audience. Infographics and statistics are particularly useful for content writers and those businesses that don’t have enough resources to conduct research independently. So, finding an interesting topic and creating shareable content around it will eventually help you earn more backlinks.
Find broken links and offer replacements:
Once you find a website you want to earn a backlink from, try to identify if any of the links that lead to other websites are broken. Then you can contact the owner and offer one of your content pieces they can link to. They’ll most likely be grateful that you’ve informed them about a broken link and might reward you with a backlink.
Find websites that want to publish your guest posts:
Writing guest posts is another effective strategy for link-building. To execute it correctly, you need to find an authoritative website within the construction industry, ask owners if they’re interested in collaboration, and then give them a high-quality article you wrote. They’ll give value to their audience by sharing your content, and you’ll get a backlink.
Don’t expect to earn tons of backlinks overnight. And don’t fall into the trap of buying backlinks. These “quick, cheap, and easy” schemes usually bring more harm than good to SEO for construction companies.
Contact the best SEO agency for construction companies
Do you need help getting your website to the top of search engine results? Our Chicago SEO firm specializes in boosting the online presence of construction businesses. By combining technical optimization with compelling content creation, we’ll ensure your website stands out to search engines and potential customers.
Think of your website as the foundation of your online presence. Like a building’s foundation, it needs to be strong and secure to support the structure above it. And our team will ensure your website is optimized for search engines and can support all of your marketing efforts.
Let’s build your digital future together. Get in touch with Alpha Efficiency today to introduce us to your business and learn more about our construction company SEO services.